Monday, November 19, 2007

Creative lives


"For many of us, our artists [within our self] have been waiting to speak with us for years...We are spiritual beings and when our spirit grows larger; so must we. There will be no comfortable resting in yesterday's definition of ourselves."
Julia Cameron
Walking in this World: The Practical Art of Creativity


How often do you push the limits of your quilt making? When was the last time you read a quilt history book? Do you prefer to use a pattern or make up your own design? Do you prefer to buy a collection of fabric, or pick and chose each piece individually? Are you a traditional quilter who has never taken an art quilt class? Have you ever read a pioneer quilter's biography about her years on the plains and tried, really spent time, imagining living that life yourself? When was the last time you went to an antique quilt exhibit that wasn't part of a quilt show?

When your world seems small, stretch yourself; call out your inner artist or curious historian. Who knows where that will take you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnUOJonRcCw
Here you will meet a fearless artist, who will go far in her art, and might even win this competition. Her voice isn't perfect, but her heart and soul are in her art. The quilts we make, just like those made by pioneers, will not be perfect, but they can be a voice for our heart and soul.

Piece,
Kim

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Kim,

    I have not read the Cameron book yet, but I am anxious to. I can't speak for anyone else, but the need to "create" and be "creative" is very important in my life. I used to oil paint, but it just didn't "feel" right to me - then I took my first quilting class and I knew - this was it. I consider myself a traditional quilter - hand piecing and hand quilting. I like the idea of creating something in "almost" the same way it was done in the 1800s. I use fabric, like a writer uses a pen or keyboard, to tell a story. Actually, I think each of my quilts tell two stories. The story of the quilt itself and the story of what was going on in my life that inspired me to make the quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, questions and answers are welcome! It may take a little while for them to show on my blog - I like to see them first. Thanks for sharing.